Technology Evolution and Data Explosion
- Applications are getting more sophisticated
- 90% of all data has been produced in the last 2 years
- Data is expected to grow 10x in the next 5 years
It’s important for your data to be…
Why do I need a protection plan?
In contrary to popular belief, only 3% of data loss is caused by a natural disaster, like a fire, flood, earthquake, or hurricane.
97% of your risk sits outside of these things, and is more likely caused by a power outage, construction cutting off communication for a period of time, or accidental deletion of important documents.
Statistical Causes of Unplanned Downtime
- 40% – Operation Errors
- 40% – Application Failures
- 20% – Hardware, OS, Security, Power, Natural Disasters
DR vs. BC
- Business continuity allows you to continue to operate your business with the most minimal amount of downtime, however that takes a lot more work (planning, strategy, configuration)
- Disaster recovery simply says “We have a disaster, how are we going to recover from it?”
RPO vs RTO
- Recovery point objective: How frequently do we want to capture data (back it up)? Ex. every hour, every 4 hours, once a day…
- Recovery time objective: How soon after a disaster strikes do we need to get the business back up and running?
- 85% of systems are not backed up
- 80% of loss is due to operational (human) error or application failures
- Data is expected to grow by over 10x in the next 5 years